- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 (14.5) oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies*
- 4 (8 oz) cans organic tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp granulated brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Serve topped with:
- Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, chopped onions, fritos, or cornbread.
Cook ground beef until crunchy, add onions, and cook until translucent.
Add garlic, olive oil and spices, stir until all ingredients are combined, then add tomato juice. Add remaining spices and brown sugar to taste.
Let simmer for 3 hours and add more spices if needed.